Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Second Glance

Have you ever seen someone and without even a second glance, known that they were completely different than you?

I am "mentoring" a girl, and I say "mentoring" because...well...I don't know, it just seems so formal and all I really do is hang out with her.

When I first met this girl, I'll admit it, I was scared. I thought instantly, with one glance, there was no way we would have anything in common. I was scared that she was old enough to tell that well...I'm just not cool. I'm kind of a dork. I was scared that we would have nothing to talk about, that we would sit there in silent awkwardness until our meeting was over. It didn't go quite as bad as that, but we really didn't have anything in common. This 12 year girl has been through and seen more than I have and probably ever will. She has been abused in every way imaginable, has been abandoned by her mother, has been in a gang since she was 6...and the list goes on.

Opposite. Everything about us is different.

So, I left dissapointed. I started praying and seeking the Lord's will for this relationship and so very soon, He delivered. I realized that we shared the same Creator, we both bear His image, we have both sinned against Him, and when Jesus died, He died bearing both of our sins, and when He rose, He rose so that both of us could have new life. So I hope and pray that next time I meet with her I can look at her and see that while we may have nothing at all in common, we are exactly the same.

3 comments:

The Baublets said...

Thanks for the encouragement :) I'm excited for you about being a mentor! I know what you mean about feeling like you're from different worlds - some of my students have crazy lives and it just blows my mind what they've been through. But just being there for her and loving on her and being a positive role model can mean the world to a kid.

Anonymous said...

im so proud of you

Anonymous said...

new pup?!?