Monday, March 16, 2009

"Future Grace" by John Piper



Publisher's Synopsis: "SEVER THE ROOT OF SIN. No one sins out of duty. We sin because we want to. Sin promises happiness, and we buy the lie. So how can the root of sin be severed in our lives? The penalty of sin must be paid by the righteous blood of Christ. And the power of sin must be broken by banking on the promises of Christ. John Piper's meditations are rooted in rock-solid biblical reflection. Chaper by chapter--one for each day of the month--he reveals how, by cherishing the promises of God, you can break the power of anxiety, despondency, covetousness, lust, bitterness, impatience, pride, misplaced shame, and more."

A Quote from the book: " In other words, the chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying him forever--which is the essence of Christian hedonism, and of living by faith in future grace.  There is no final conflict between God's passion to be glorified and man's passion to be satisfied.  God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in him."

My Thoughts:  I don't even know where to start with this one. I enjoyed it. It encouraged me, stretched me, and I'll be honest, frightened me. This book is not for the fair weather Christian, not for someone who wants an author to dode on them with half Truths.  Read it.  But don't say I didn't warn you.

No comments: