Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn




If ever I have loved a book- it is this one.
Taking place at the turn of the 20th century, the story follows Francie Nolan, a young girl growing up in a poor neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York. This is an honest and true novel. A novel that cuts right to the heart of life. As I watched Francie and her family struggle for their daily necessities, I felt like their hard work somehow brought about simplicity. The kind of simplicity that I long for.
Maybe I'm biased because Francie is so unbelievably like the little girl I was in my childhood, but she is undeniably the perfect heroine. Francie is bright, attentive, witty, passionate, curious, determined, imaginative. She is what every daydreamy child was and is and will be. If you were a daydreamy child, you will fall in love with her.
Publisher's synopsis: The American classic about a young girl's coming of age at the turn of the century.
A Quote: "School days went along. Some were made up of meanness, brutality, and heartbreak; others were bright and beautiful because of Miss Bernstone and Mr. Morton. And always, there was the magic of learning things."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

IM READING THIS RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

and iloveyou