Sunday, January 18, 2009

same kind of different as me.





Okay, so I decided I'd try to write a "review" for each book that I finished. I figured it would be a way for me to think a little more deeply about what I've read. Now that I'm out of school, I don't want my brain to turn into mush! Just fair warning...I am not very articulate although I want desperately to be so...so....here it goes.

"same kind of different as me." is a New York Times bestseller and a true story. The story is written in a journal style, narrators alternating each chapter as they reflect and tell how the story unfolded on their end. The book follows the story of Ron Hall, a white, affluent art dealer from Ft. Worth, Texas and Denver Moore, a poor, black sharecropper from Red River Parish, Louisiana. I'll admit, as I began reading, I dreaded it a little. I was, in a way, distressed, that I would be reading a story where the rich, white, "Christian" came to the rescue of the helpless poor black man.

Not so.

The story reveals a world in which 20th century slavery exists in the U.S. only disguised by the title "sharecropping." Poor black families spend their lives living on credit and in turn, pick cotton in order to repay their debt to their creditor. No pay check- only a house and meals- provided of course, on credit. Who knew this existed?

More than uncovering social injustices though, this is a powerful story of the Holy Spirit transforming people and places and it's wonderfully encouraging. This is not just a story for people who believe in Jesus Christ, but for anyone who wants to be inspired, or who likes insight on social injustices, poverty, homelessness or spirituality. The book also comes with discussion questions in the back which I really loved because, of course, don't want my brain to turn to mush. And, it made me think about important things. Who doesn't want that?

Another plus-- it's an easy read, so if you're a busy bee, it's the perfect set-up. Most chapters aren't more than 2 pages (most are less than that) and the language is easy. Are you convinced yet?

1 comment:

Heather said...

This is Heather from small group! Thanks for telling me about your blog. What is so funny is that I actually own this book but haven't gotten around to opening it yet. Thanks for the reminder to not let my brain turn to mush too :-)